This page needs to be proofread.
- (2) If a member has not taken his seat within three months from the date on which the Legislative Assembly first sits after his election or appointment, or within such further period as the Assembly may allow, his seat shall become vacant.
Address by Yang di-Pertua Negara.
- 23. The Yang di-Pertua Negara may address the Legislative Assembly and may send messages thereto.
Procedure of Legislative Assembly.
- 24. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the Legislative Assembly shall regulate its own procedure and may make Standing Orders for that purpose.
- (2) The Legislative Assembly may act notwithstanding any vacancy in its membership, and the presence or participation of any person not entitled to be present or to participate shall not invalidate any proceedings.
- (3) Subject to clauses (5) and (6) and to clause (2) of Article 43, the Legislative Assembly shall, if not unanimous, take its decision by a simple majority of members voting ; and if the Speaker is absent the member presiding shall cast his vote whenever necessary to avoid an equality of votes but shall not vote in any other case, and if the Speaker is present and there is an equality of votes upon any question the motion shall be lost.
- (4) Members absent from the Legislative Assembly shall not be allowed to vote.
- (5) The Standing Orders of the Legislative Assembly may provide, as respects any decision relating to its proceedings, that it shall not be made except by a specified majority or by a specified number of votes.
- (6) No Bill making provision for controlling or restricting the propagation of any religious doctrine or belief among persons professing the Muslim religion shall be passed by the Legislative Assembly unless it has been supported on the second and third readings by the votes of not less than two thirds of the total number of the members thereof.
- (7) No Bill or amendment involving expenditure from the Consolidated Fund may be introduced or moved in the Legislative Assembly except by a member of the Cabinet.
- (8) For a period of ten years after Malaysia Day, and thereafter until the Legislature by law otherwise provides, all proceedings in the Legislative Assembly may be in the English language.
- (9) If objection is taken by any member present that there are present (besides the Speaker or member presiding) fewer than one quarter .of the total number of members and after such interval as may be prescribed in the Standing Orders of the Legislative Assembly, the person presiding ascertains that the number of members present is still less than one quarter of the total number of members, he shall thereupon adjourn the Assembly.