There was a problem when proofreading this page.
CONFLICT AND HEROISM
|134||Awake, My Soul, Stretch Every Nerve|
|(CHRISTMAS. C. M.)|
|Doddridge Philip,1702-1751||George Friedrich Handel,1728|
- Awake, my soul, stretch every nerve, And press with vigor on!
A heavenly race demands thy zeal,
And an immortal crown, And an immortal crown,
- A cloud of witnesses around Hold thee in full survey ;
Forget the steps already trod,
And onward urge thy way, And onward urge thy way.
- Tis God's all animating voice That calls thee from on high;
Tis his own hand presents the prize To thine aspiring eye,
To thine aspiring eye.
- Blest Saviour, introduced by thee, Havel my race be-gun;
And,crowned with victory, at thy feet
I'll lay my honors down, I'll lay my honors down. Amen
|135||My Soul, Be on Thy Guard|
|George Heath,1781||Lowell Mason,1830|
- My soul, be on thy guard ;
Ten thousand foes arise;
The hosts of sin are pressing hard
To draw thee from the skies.
- O watch, and fight, and pray;
The battle ne'er give O'er
Renew it boldly every day,
And help divine implore.
- Ne'er think the victory won,
Nor lay thine armor down;
Thy arduous work will not be done
Till thou obtain thy crown,
- Fight on, my soul, till death
Shall bring thee to thy God ;
He'll take thee, at thy parting breath,
Up to his blest abode. Amen