|The Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers down to A.D. 325 (1885)
Ante-Nicene Christian Library and published serially from 1867 to 1885. The volumes were translated and edited by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson.
The series was originally created by the Presbyterian publishing house of T. & T. Clark in Edinburgh as the |
In 1885 a U.S. firm, the Christian Literature Company, began to issue the volumes in a reorganised form, edited by A. Cleveland Coxe. This was in fact piracy of the ANCL, and treated as such by T. &. T. Clark at the time. However there was little recognition of overseas copyright in the USA at this date, and Clark's were obliged to accept the situation. Coxe gave his series the title The Ante-Nicene Fathers. — Excerpted from Ante-Nicene Fathers on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
This collection was followed by the collections Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers: Series I and Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers: Series II.
- Volume I - The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus
- Volume II - Fathers of the Second Century
- Volume III - Latin Christianity: Its Founder, Tertullian
- Volume IV - The Fathers of the Third Century
- Volume V - The Fathers of the Third Century
- Volume VI - The Fathers of the Third Century
- Volume VII - The Fathers of the Third and Fourth Centuries
- Volume VIII - The Fathers of the Third and Fourth Centuries
- Volume IX - Recently Discovered Additions to Early Christian Literature; Commentaries of Origen
- Volume X - Bibliographic Synopsis; General Index [not included]
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1915, so this work is also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 80 years or less. This work may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.