- LUBOV ANDREYEVNA RANEVSKY (Mme. RANEVSKY), a landowner
- ANYA, her daughter, aged seventeen
- VARYA (BARBARA), her adopted daughter, aged twenty-seven
- LEONID ANDREYEVITCH GAEV, Mme. Ranevsky's brother
- ERMOLAI ALEXEYEVITCH LOPAKHIN, a merchant
- PETER SERGEYEVITCH TROFIMOV, a student
- BORIS BORISOVITCH SIMEONOV-PISCHIN, a landowner
- CHARLOTTA IVANOVNA, a governess
- SIMEON PANTELEYEVITCH EPIKHODOV, a clerk
- DUNYASHA (AVDOTYA FEDOROVNA), a maidservant
- FIERS, an old footman, aged eighty-seven
- YASHA, a young footman
- A TRAMP
- A STATION-MASTER
- POST-OFFICE CLERK
- A SERVANT
The action takes place on Mme. RANEVSKY'S estate
|This is a translation and has a separate copyright status from the original text. The license for the translation applies to this edition only.
||This work published before January 1, 1923 is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago.
||This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1923. It may be copyrighted outside the U.S. (see Help:Public domain).