The New International Encyclopædia/Howard University
HOWARD UNIVERSITY. An educational institution, situated in Washington, D. C., incorporated in 1867, and named for Gen. O. O. Howard, one of its founders and early presidents. The university was established by the Government, and, with the exception of its medical department, is supported by Congressional appropriations administered by the Secretary of the Interior. It has, in addition, a general endowment fund of $175,000, and property valued at $1,000,000. The university is non-sectarian, and is open to students of both sexes, without regard to race. It is chiefly known, however, for its work in the higher education of the negro. No tuition is charged in any department except the medical, and the outside expenses of worthy students are also partially defrayed by the university. In addition to preparatory, collegiate, and medical departments, the university maintains schools of pedagogy, law, pharmacy, dentistry, theology, music, and agriculture. Trade instruction is provided by the industrial department, in which students of the preparatory and English courses are given practice in carpentry, tinsmithing, printing, and bookbinding, under the direction of skilled workmen. The university printing-office issues monthly the Howard Standard. In 1902 the students, exclusive of those in the departments of agriculture and music, numbered 939. The library contains about 40,000 volumes.