For works with similar titles, see Sea Gull.
A Play In Four Acts
- IRINA ARKADINA, an actress
- CONSTANTINE TREPLIEFF, her son
- PETER SORIN, her brother
- NINA ZARIETCHNAYA, a young girl, the daughter of a rich landowner
- ILIA SHAMRAEFF, the manager of SORIN'S estate
- PAULINA, his wife
- MASHA, their daughter
- BORIS TRIGORIN, an author
- EUGENE DORN, a doctor
- SIMON MEDVIEDENKO, a schoolmaster
- JACOB, a workman
- A COOK
- A MAIDSERVANT
The scene is laid on SORIN'S estate. Two years elapse between the third and fourth acts.