A Philosophical Inquiry Concerning Human Liberty (1735)
THE Introduction, shewing that men may express their Thoughts and Opinions with equal clearness upon all subjects.page 10.
The question, whether man be a free or a necessary agent, explain’d.p. 16.
I. First Argument, wherein our experience is consider’d.p. 17.
Under this head are,
First, several considerations on the argument of experience.lb.
Secondly, an account of our experience in the exercise of the Power of Perceiving, of Judging, Willing, and Doing as we will.p. 32.
And lastly, the Actions of men and inferior intelligent agents are compared.p. 49.
II. Second Argument, to prove man a necessary agent, taken from the impossibility of liberty.p. 52.
III. Third Argument, taken from the imperfection of liberty, and the perfection of necessity.p. 56.
IV. Fourth Argument, taken from the consideration of the divine Prescience.p. 71.
V. Fifth Argument, taken from the nature and use of rewards and punishments in society.p. 75.
VI. Sixth Argument, taken from the nature of morality.p. 77.
Several Objections consider’d.p. 78.
1. That if men are necessary agents, punishments are unjust,lb.
2. That if men are necessary agents, punishments are useless,p. 82.
3. That if men are necessary agents, reasoning, intreaties, admonitions, blame, and praise are useless,p. 85.
4. That if the period of man’s life be fix’d, physick, &c. is useless,p. 87.
5. How can a man act against his conscience, and how can his conscience accuse him, if he knows he acts necessarily, &c.p. 89.
6. How can such an action as the murder of Julius Cæsar in the senate be necessary, &c.p. 90.
Authorities for what has been advanc’d.p. 91.
The notion of Liberty maintained by the Author.p. 97.
BOOKS printed for and Sold by R Robinson, at the Golden Lion in St. Paul's Church-Yard.
- BURKIT on the New Testament, 10th Edition, Folio.
- Boyer's French and English Dictionary, Quarto.
- in Octavo.
- Hederici Lexicon, Quatro.
- Cole's Latin Dictionary, 8vo.
- Drelincourt on Death, 8vo.
- Sherloul of Death, 8vo.
- Dictionarium Rusticum, 2 Vol.
- Eachard's Gazetteer, Compleat.
- Hudibras, 12mo.
- Life of Mr. John Hales of Eaton.
- Littleton's Dictionary, 4to.
- Patrick's Devout Christian, 12mo.
- Christians Sacrifice, 12mo
- Scarron's Works, 2 Vol. 12mo.
- Taylor's Living and Tying.
- Ware's History of Ireland, Folio,
- Moll's Geography, Folio
- Wiseman's Surgery, 2 Vol. 8vo.
- Burnet's Abridgment; 3 Vol. 12mo. 6th Edition
- Travels, 12mo.
- Motteux's Don Quixot, 4 Vol. 1200.
- Vertet's Revolutions of Portugal, 8vo.
- Howell's History of England, 8vo.
- Tatlers, 4 Vol. 12mo.
- Kennet's Roman Antiquities, 8vo.
- Potter's Antiquities, 2 Vol. 8vo.
- Beveridge's Thoughts, 2 Vol. 8vo.
- Bates's Works, Folio.
- King on the Primitive Church, 8vo.
- Woolsey's Life, Folio.
- Virgil, Delph. 8vo.
- Machiavel's Works, Folio.
- Echara's Terence, 12mo.
- Vertot's Revolutions of Rome, 2 Vol.
- Wood's Civil Law, Folio.
- English Expositor.
- Lowthorp's Abridgment, 3 Vol. 4to.
- Shekor's Don Quixot, 4 Vol. 12mo.
- Parson's Christians Directory, 8vo.