1The vision of Obadiah.
- This is what the Lord Yahweh says concerning Edom:
- "We have been given a message by Yahweh and an envoy has been sent to the nations:
- 'Let us rise and go make war with her.' 2 I have made you small and hated by all the nations.
3 Your heart, full of presumptuousness, has deceived you, you who live in the hollow of the rocks. In your high dwelling places you have asked yourself 'who can bring me down from here?' 4 Though you feel like you are soaring as high as an eagle and are making your nests with the stars, you will brought down by me," is what Yahweh has said.
- 5 "If thieves or marauders came to you by night you would be, oh, so wrecked! They would steal as
much as they wanted. If people who picked grapes came to you, wouldn't they at least leave some grapes? 6 Esau will be pillaged and all of his hidden treasures found.7 All of your allies will drive you to your boundary lines and everyone who is at peace with you will secretly plot against you and defeat you. Those who eat your bread with you will lay a trap and you will be unaware of it! 8 In that day," Yahweh says, "I will eliminate the wise and understanding ones of Edom from her very countryside! 9 Your mighty warriors, Teman, will be petrified so that all of the countries inhabitants will be slaughtered-completely destroyed!
- 10 Due to the violence that you committed against Jacob you will be covered with shame and
then destroyed forever! 11 On the same day that you stood aside to let strangers take all of his forces into captivity and let foreigners enter the gates and cast lots over Jerusalem you joined in!
- 12 You should not watch on that day
- the misfortune of your brother.
- You should not rejoice as the sons of Judah perish.
- You should not talk bad of them in the day of their calamity.
- 13 You should not enter the gates
- of my people on the day of their disaster.
- You should not look on at his distress in that day.
- You should not even try to take anything as plunder.
- 14 You should not stand at the crossroads
- to intercept any of those that escaped.
- You should not hand over the survivors
- in the day of their anguish.
- 15 For the Day of Yahweh is near against all the nations! Everything you have done will be repaid.
You will receive your own treatment on your head. 16 Just as you have drank on my holy mountain so every nation will keep drinking, they will drink and gulp just as if they had never come to be. 17 But upon Mount Zion there will come to be deliverance, and it must become holy; the house of Jacob must take back what was taken from them. 18 Then the house of Jacob will become a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau a kindling that will be set on fire and consumed. And so there will be no one surviving in all the house of Esau, for Yahweh has said it.
- 19 Those from the Negev will acquire the hill country of Esau and its mountainous regions. They
will also acquire the fields of Ephraim and the field of Samaria while Benjamin aquires Gilead. 20 As for the Israelite exiles among the Canaanites as far as Zarephath and the exiles of Jerusalem in Sepharad, these will possess the Negev. 21 Saviors will go up Mount Zion and there they will judge the land of Esau. However, Yahweh will become king.