Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Barquisimeto
Diocese in Venezuela, South America. The city is the capital of the State of Lara, is about 161 miles south-west of Caracas, and contains about 30,000 inhabitants, though some authorities give a lower figure. Founded in 1552 by the Spaniards, under the name of Nueva Segovia, Barquisimeto is one of the oldest Spanish possessions in South America. In 1812 it was almost entirely destroyed by an earthquake. The Diocese of Barquisimeto was erected in 1847, comprising the three States of Lara, Carabobo, and Falcon. By a decree of the Congregation of the Consistory, 12 February, 1907, the episcopal residence was transferred to Valencia (38,654), in the State of Carabobo, and the boundaries of the diocese rearranged. It is now bounded on the north and west by the Caribbean Sea, on the south by the diocese of Merida (or the State of Trujillo) on the east by the State of Calabozo and the two dioceses of Zamora, and Guiana. The diocese contains 528,215 Catholics, 68 priests, and 110 churches and chapels.
Battandier, Ann. Pont. Cath. (Paris, 1906), 198; Missiones Catholicae (Propaganda, Rome, 1907).