Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Vicariate Apostolic of Cooktown
The Vicariate Apostolic of Cooktown comprises North Queensland, Australia, from 16°30' south latitude to Cape York, and from the Pacific Coast to the boundary of Northern Territory. It was formed out of the Diocese of Brisbane, as a pro-vicariate in 1876, was first entrusted to Italian priests, who subsequently withdrew, and, in 1882, to the Irish Augustinians (Father John Hutchinson, Pro-Vicar). In 1887 the mission was created a vicariate apostolic, and Dr. Hutchinson was appointed its first vicar. He died 28 October, 1897, and was succeeded by the Right Rev. James D. Murray, consecrated 3 July, 1898. The administrative centre of the vicariate is at Cairns.
Statistics to close of 1907
Parochial districts, 7; stations, 32; churches, 18; regular priests, 11; nuns, 24; boarding school, 1; primary schools, 3; children attending Catholic schools, 470; Catholic population, about 6000.
MORAN, History of the Catholic Church in Australasia (Sydney, s.d.): Australasian Catholic Directory (Sydney, 1908).
HENRY W. CLEARY