David Irving v Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt
1996 -I- 1113
IN THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
QUEEN’S BENCH DIVISION
MR. DAVID IRVING (appered in person).
MR. (instructed by Messrs and ) appeared on behalf of the first and second Defendants.
MISS HEATHER ROGERS (instructed by Messrs ) appeared on behalf of the first Defendant, Penguin Books Limited.
MR (instructed by Messrs ) appeared on behalf of the second Defendant, Deborah Lipstadt.
I direct pursuant to CPR Part 39 P.D. 6.1. that no official shorthand note shall be taken of this judgment and that copies of this version as handed down may be treated as authentic.
Mr. Justice Gray
11 April 2000
- I. INTRODUCTION
- II. THE WORDS COMPLAINED OF AND THEIR MEANING
- III. THE NATURE OF IRVING’S CLAIM FOR DAMAGES
- IV. THE DEFENCE OF JUSTIFICATION: AN OVERVIEW
- V. JUSTIFICATION: THE DEFENDANTS’ HISTORIOGRAPHICAL CRITICISMS OF IRVING’S PORTRAYAL OF HITLER IN PARTICULAR IN REGARD TO HIS ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE JEWISH QUESTION
- VI. JUSTIFICATION: EVIDENCE OF THE ATTITUDE OF HITLER TOWARDS THE JEWS AND OF THE EXTENT, IF ANY, OF HIS KNOWLEDGE OF AND RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE EVOLVING POLICY OF EXTERMINATION
- VII. AUSCHWITZ
- VIII. JUSTIFICATION: THE CLAIM THAT IRVING IS A “HOLOCAUST DENIER”
- IX. JUSTIFICATION: THE ALLEGATION THAT IRVING IS AN ANTI-SEMITE AND A RACIST
- X. JUSTIFICATION: THE CLAIM THAT IRVING ASSOCIATES WITH RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS
- XI. JUSTIFICATION: THE BOMBING OF DRESDEN
- XII. JUSTIFICATION: IRVING’S CONDUCT IN RELATION TO THE GOEBBELS DIARIES IN THE MOSCOW ARCHIVE
- XIII. FINDINGS ON JUSTIFICATION
- XIV. VERDICT
This work is licensed under the United Kingdom Open Government Licence v1.0.
- You are free to:
- copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information;
- adapt the Information;
- exploit the Information commercially for example, by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own product or application.
- You must, where you do any of the above:
- acknowledge the source of the Information by including any attribution statement specified by the Information Provider(s) and, where possible, provide a link to this licence;
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that suggests any official status or that the Information Provider endorses you or your use of the Information;
- ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Information or its source;
- ensure that your use of the Information does not breach the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
Public domainPublic domainfalse