Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Hainau
HAINAU (officially Haynau), a town in the Prussian province of Silesia, circle of Goldberg-Hainau and government district of Liegnitz, is situated on the Rapid Deichsel and on the railway from Breslau to Dresden, 12 miles N.W. of Liegnitz. It has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, and manufactories of woollen and cotton cloth, gloves, leather, locks, and tin ware. Near Hainau the Prussian cavalry inflicted a defeat on the French rear-guard, 26th May 1813. The population of the town in 1875 was 5351.