Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Greifenhagen
GREIFENHAGEN, the chief town of a circle in the Prussian province of Pomerania and government of Stettin, is situated on the Reglitz, 12 miles S.S.W. of Stettin. Its prosperity depends chiefly on agriculture, and it has a con siderable cattle trade. There are also linen manufactories and saw-mills. Greifenhagen was built in 1230, and was raised to the rank of a town and fortified in 1262. In the Thirty Years War it was taken both by the imperialists and the Swedes, and in 1675 it was captured by the Branden- burgers, into whose possession it came finally in 1679. The population in 1875 was 6759.