TULLE, a town of France, chef-lieu of the department of Corrèze and a bishop's see, is 61 miles east-north-east of Périgueux by the railway from Bordeaux to Clermond-Ferrand. The town rises picturesquely on both banks of the Corrèze, a sub-tributary of the Dordogne. The Corrèze, crossed by four bridges, flows between embankments, and the narrow streets on the steep left bank are connected by stairs. Of the 12th-century cathedral only the porch and the nave of six bays remain, the choir and transept having been destroyed in 1793; but there is a 14th-century tower, with a fine stone steeple. The neighbouring cloister (13th century) is being restored. The abbot's house (15th century) has a carved doorway and well-preserved windows; and some curious houses of the 12th, 13th, and 14th centuries still exist. Tulle possesses normal schools for male and female teachers, and is the headquarters of the Historical Society of Lower Limousin. The principal industry is the manufacture of firearms. The Government establishments employ from 1500 to 3000 workmen, and can turn out 70,000 guns annually. Manufactories for the variety of lace called "tulle" were first established here. There is a collection of the firearms of all nations. The population in 1886 was 10,635 (commune 16,275).
Tulle (Tutela Lemovicum} owed its importance in the Middle Ages to an abbey founded by St Martin, or, according to another authority, in the 7th century, which was raised to a bishopric in 1317. Mascaron was bishop in the 17th century. The town was taken by the English in 1346, and was subsequently ravaged by the Black Death. It was again conquered by the English in 1369; but, when the inhabitants succeeded in freeing themselves, they were exempted from all imposts by Charles V. The viscount of Turenne, leader of the Protestants, tried in vain to seize Tulle in 1577, but was successful in 1585.