History of Cawthorne/Appendix
Parish notes since 1866
Since the description of the Church was written ([History of Cawthorne/The Parish Church, The Churchyard, Parochial Registers|Chapter VII]]), the mural decoration has been begun and is still in progress under the special page 173 direction of Mr. G. F. Bodley, A. R. A., the work being executed as before by Mr. Parr and his assistant from Mr Leach of Cambridge. The alabaster Reredos has had its rich sculpture relieved by more gold and colour, and a delicate cresting of carved alabaster is being made to give finish to the top. The stonework of the Chancel-the windows, arches, sedilia, &c. has been decorated in a rich mulberry red, sage-green, and gold, while the upper part of the walls below the red and gold cornice have a yellow decoration of conventional foliage on a lighter ground, and, as a hanging below, a darker green diaper upon a lighter shade of the same colour. The whole decoration of the Chancel is in that subdued peaceful pleasing harmony which gratifies without at all distracting. The outer walls of the North and South Aisles have for some distance from the floor a lighter blue ground with darker pattern, the upper part of the wall having a lighter ground with much the same decoration as the upper part of the Chancel walls. The wall over the Chancel arch to the Nave is also now being decorated. A carved oak screen, stained the same dark colour as the rest of the oak work, is being made, to fill the small arch leading from the North aisle into the North Chancel Aisle or Chapel.
No description of the Church, it may be remarked, could give any adequate idea of the beauty and harmony which pervades the whole of Mr. Bodley's work to the smallest details of decorative art and architecture.
- The correction may here be made of a statement on page 70 referring to the woodwork of the Church: the Roofs of the Chancel and two Chancel Aisles were the work of Mr. Wade, of Horsforth.
- The date of Mr. Daniel Wilson's death on page 102 ought to be given as 1825
- An oversight has caused the learned Dr. Whitaker's name on page 4 to remain wrongly spelt
- Walter Spencer Stanhope, given on page 36 as Lieut. 4th Batt. West Yorks. Regt., has since been gazetted as Lieut, 19th Huzzars.
- In the 6th line of page 85 the inscription which was on the former memorial window to Miss Louisa Stanhope is erroneously given as being on the new window to the West containing Moses and David.
Since the Act in 1812 "for the better Regulating and preserving of Parish Registers," there have been three burials of persons above 90 years of age: Sarah Roberts, 91, in 1854; Joseph Fish, 96, in 1863; Elizabeth Healey, 96, in 1875.
- Table has been revised
|Domesday Book description of Cawthorne||3||1086|
|Bosvile Chantry founded||140||1445|
|Decree of Exchequer Court on Vicar's Pension||126||1615|
|Decree of Duchy of Lancaster's Court on School||148||1639|
|Staincross Volunteers called out||31||1805|
|Canal made to Bamby Basin||63||1823|
|Shepley Turnpike Trust Roads begun||67||1825|
|Former Chancel and South Aisle built||88 and 117||1828|
|Spade Husbandry Allotments||1844|
|Turnpike Road about Cawthorne completed||67||1845|
|Co-operative Society established||1846|
|Cawthorne Flower Show begun||1849|
|Railway to Barnby Furnace||63||1854|
|Tivydale School built||156||1858|
|Harvest Thanksgiving (on weekday)||156 and 172||1858|
|Water brought to Maypole Hill from Margery Wood||65||1865|
|Hoyland Swaine made a Parish||168||1869|
|Boys School built||155||1872|
|Restoration of Church begun||96||1875|
|Quarry Well improved and Water to low end of Village
[also census taken]