The Gateless Gate/Joshu Washes the Bowl
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A monk told Joshu: "I have just entered the monastery. Please teach me."
Joshu asked: "Have you eaten your rice porridge?"
The monk replied: "I have eaten."
Joshu said: "Then you had better wash your bowl."
At that moment the monk was enlightened.
- Mumon’s comment: Joshu is the man who opens his mouth and shows his heart. I doubt if this monk really saw Joshu's heart. I hope he did not mistake the bell for a pitcher.
- It is too clear and so it is hard to see.
- A dunce once searched for a fire with a lighted lantern.
- Had he known what fire was,
- He could have cooked his rice much sooner.