We Must Conserve Food
To Keep the Wolf from Our Own Door
- Scarcity of food is exacting greater death toll and causing more intense suffering in Europe than bullets. This frightful, unprecedented predicament of starving millions of allied families SOUNDS a solemn warning to America.
Appalling Conditions Threaten
America If We Waste Our Foods
- Our supply of food is only so much—and now five or six other countries are depending on us to feed them that they may live and fight.
- The authorities merely request that you eat—
- ONE POUND LESS OF WHEAT FLOUR A WEEK—
- which means one hundred and thirty-three million bushels of wheat more annually for emergency or two thousand million loaves of bread;
- ONE OUNCE LESS OF MEAT A DAY—
- which means four million four hundred thousand meat animals each year for excess demands;
- ONE OUNCE LESS OF SUGAR A DAY—
- which means one million one hundred and eight-five thousand tons of sugar a year, making it plentiful and cheap;
- ONE-THIRD OF AN OUNCE LESS OF FATS A DAY—
- which means three hundred and ninety-five thousand tons more fats each year from which to make glycerine, used for manufacturing explosives.
- Complying with this request from today on will materially help to win the war and
Prevent the Government from
Issuing Food Restriction Orders
- Do not buy more food than you actually need—then the dealer will not have to "stock up"—and the wholesaler will have enough to go around.
Less Eating Will Save Many a Pain and Doctor Bill
A Little Saved Today Will Mean Square Meals Next Year
You Owe the Duty of Saving Food to Your Country and Humanity
Space for This Message Cheerfully Contributed to the
Cause of Humanity by