Constitution of Sri Lanka/Seventh Amendment
Section 1 Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Seventh Amendment to the Constitution.
Section 2 Amendment of Article S of the Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
2. Article 5 of the Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (hereinafter referred to as " the Constitution ") is hereby amended as follows :-
- (a) by the substitution, for the words " twenty-four ", of the words " twenty-five " ; and
- (b) by the substitution for the words " territorial waters. ", of the following :-
Section 3 Amendment of Article 96 of the Constitution
3. Article 96 of the. Constitution is hereby amended in paragraph (1) of that Article, by the substitution, for the words "twenty-four", of the words "twenty-five".
Section 4 Insertion of Article 111A in the Constitution
4. The following Article is hereby inserted immediately after Article Ill, and shall have effect as Article 111A, of the Constitution:- Commissioners of the High Court.
- 111 (Commissioners of the High Court)
- (1) Where the Minister in charge of the subject of Justice represents to the President that it is expedient that the number of the Judges exercising the jurisdiction and powers or the High Court in any judicial zone should be temporarily increased, the President may, by warrant, appoint one or more Commissioners of the High Court to exercise the jurisdiction and powers of the High Court. within such judicial zone as is 'Specified in the warrant of appointment of such Commissioner of the High. Court.
- (2) Every Commissioner of the High Court appointed under paragraph (1) shall hold office for the period specified in his warrant of appointment and shall be removable, and be subject to disciplinary control, by the President, on the recommendation of the Judicial Service Commission .
- (3) Even' Commissioner of the High Court appointed under paragraph (1) may, during his tenure of office, exercise, according to law, such jurisdiction and powers as is, or are, vested or ordained in the High Court by Parliament, and shall be invested with all the rights, powers, privileges and immunities (except such rights and privileges as relate to tenure of office, of a Judge of the High Court, and for this purpose, a reference to a "Judge of the High Court" in the Constitution or other written law shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be deemed to include a reference to a " Commissioner of the High Court".'.
Section 5 Amendment of the First Schedule to the Constitution
5. The First Schedule to the Constitution is hereby amended as follows :-
- (a) by the insertion, immediately after item " 10. Jaffna" of that Schedule, of the following item:-"11. Kilinochchi" ; and
- (b) by the renumbering of items 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 of that Schedule as items 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 respectively, of that Schedule.