Executive Order 12725
|←Executive Order 12724||Executive Order 12725
Blocking Kuwaiti Govemment Property and Prohibiting Transactions With Kuwait
|Executive Order 12726→|
|See the Notes section for a list of Executive Orders affected by or related to the issuance of this Executive Order.|
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, including the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.), the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.), section 301 of title 3 of the United States Code, and the United Nations Participation Act (22 U.S.C 287c), in view of United Nations Security Council Resolution No. 661 of August 6, 1990, and in order to take additional steps with respect to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait and the national emergency declared in Executive Order No. 12722,
I, George Bush, President of the United States of America, hereby order:
- Except to the extent provided in regulations that may hereafter be issued pursuant to this order, all property and interests in property of the Government of Kuwait that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of United States persons, including their overseas branches, are blocked.
- The following are prohibited, except to the extent provided in regulations that may hereafter be issued pursuant to this order:
- (a) The importation into the United States of any goods or services of Kuwaiti origin, or any activity that promotes or is intended to promote such importation;
- (b) The exportation to Kuwait, or to any entity operated from Kuwait or owned or controlled by the Government of Kuwait, directly or indirectly, of any goods, technology (including technical data or other information), or services either (i) from the United States, or (ii) requiring the issuance of a license by a Federal agency, or any activity that promotes or is intended to promote such exportation, except donations of articles intended to relieve human suffering, such as food and supplies intended strictly for medical purposes;
- (c) Any dealing by a United States person related to property of Kuwaiti origin exported from Kuwait after August 6, 1990, or property intended for exportation from Kuwait to any country or exportation to Kuwait from any country, or any activity of any kind that promotes or is intended to promote such dealing;
- (d) Any transaction by a United States person relating to travel by any United States citizen or permanent resident alien to Kuwait, or to activities by any such person within Kuwait, after the date of this order, other than transactions necessary to effect (i) such person's departure from Kuwait, (ii) travel and activities for the conduct of the official business of the Federal Government or the United Nations, or (iii) travel for journalistic activity by persons regularly employed in such capacity by a news-gathering organization;
- (e) Any transaction by a United States person relating to transportation to or from Kuwait; the provision of transportation to or from the United States by any Kuwaiti person or any vessel or aircraft of Kuwaiti registration; or the sale in the United States by any person holding authority under the Federal Aviation Act of 1958, as amended (49 U.S.C. 1301 et scq.), of any transportation by air that includes any stop in Kuwait;
- (f) The performance by any United States person of any contract, including a financing contract, in support of an industrial, commercial, public utility, or governmental project in Kuwait;
- (g) Except as otherwise authorized herein, any commitment or transfer, direct or indirect, of funds, or other financial or economic resources by any United States person to the Government of Kuwait or any other person in Kuwait;
- (h) Any transaction by any United States person that evades or avoids, or has the purpose of evading or avoiding, any of the prohibitions set forth in this order.
- For purposes of this order:
- (a) the term ‘‘United States person’’ means any United States citizen, permanent resident alien, juridical person organized under the laws of the United States (including foreign branches), or any person in the United States, and vessels of U.S. registration.
- (b) the term ‘‘Government of Kuwait’’ includes the Government of Kuwait or any entity purporting to be the Government of Kuwait, its agencies, instrumentalities and controlled entities, and the Central Bank of Kuwait.
- This Order is effective immediately.
- The Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State, is hereby authorized to take such actions, including the promulgation of rules and regulations, as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this order. Such actions may include prohibiting or regulating payments or transfers of any property or any transactions involving the transfer of anything of economic value by any United States person to the Government of Kuwait, or to any Kuwaiti national or entity owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by the Government of Kuwait or Kuwaiti nationals. The Secretary of the Treasury may redelegate any of these functions to other officers and agencies of the Federal Government. All agencies of the Federal Government are directed to take all appropriate measures within their authority to carry out the provisions of this order, including the suspension or termination of licenses or other authorizations in effect as of the date of this order.
- Executive Order No. 12723 of August 2, 1990, is hereby revoked to the extent inconsistent with this order. All delegations, rules, regulations, orders, licenses, and other forms of administrative action made, issued, or otherwise taken under Executive Order No. 12723 and not revoked administratively shall remain in full force and effect under this order until amended, modified, or terminated by proper authority. The revocation of any provision of Executive Order No. 12723 pursuant to this section shall not affect any violation of any rules, regulations, orders, licenses, or other forms of administrative action under that order during the period that such provision of that order was in effect.
This Order shall be transmitted to the Congress and published in the Federal Register.
- Revoked by:
- Executive Order 12771, July 25, 1991
- Executive Order 12723, August 2, 1990
- See Related:
- 55 FR 49856
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 661, August 6, 1990
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).|