Wikisource:WikiProject NARA/Getting involved
|WikiProject NARA Getting involved||Works to retrieve|
|This page is to give information on how to get involved in WikiProject NARA, and give a list of involved users.|
If you would like to see a particular work brought through to completion, you can read the Community Portal and learn to edit at Wikisource. The Wiki-markup is the same as at any other WMF wiki, but we have strange and curious systems in place for index pages and proofreading.
If you would prefer to work on the file side of things, you can learn about Digitising texts and images for Wikisource
You can always ask for help in the IRC channel (#wikisource on the Freenode network), where many users hang out, just waiting to help!
You know what to do! Create index pages, create and populate portals, add authors. Those of you with experience in OCR or DjVu conversion are needed in the preparation list.
Below is a list of users involved in this project, along with skills and capabilities.
- Dominic. Our man on the ground. Dominic is the source of our works from NARA.
- Inductiveload. (Admin, bot-owner at WS and Commons) General groundwork and work preparation. I have no particular aim in this project other than helping to keep it running smoothly. I can do OCR work, DjVu conversion and collation, as well as Wikisource specific things like index page creation or grinding templates. I prefer non-standard and fiddly jobs, as the easy ones can be done by others! Please feel free to ask on my talk page for any help, or in IRC where I frequently reside.
- ResidentScholar. I can help a little or at least help give you a good start. While sub-categorizing the entries in the "United States history" category, I had discovered that over the course of Wikisource's existence, our contributors had taken an interest to supply numerous United States government documents relevant to the history of the United States. They can be found at Category:American state papers, and that category could act as a seedling to provide the first works to be upgraded with scans and proofreading.
- Jeepday I can help with the less technical questions of new volunteers, as well as general housekeeping tasks. As an Admin at both Wikisource and Wikipedia, I have some familiarity with them both. JeepdaySock (talk) 10:55, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
- Sam Wilson. I'm interested in helping with anything: retrieving scans, preparing djvus, uploading, index pages, whatever; and of course proofreading. Particularly anything to do with Fremantle. I'm also keen to hear more from Dominic about the whole process of working with NARA, because I'm working on getting a similar thing (albeit much smaller!) going with my local history archive, and there's a certain amount of confusion about why the WMF would be of any use. — Sam Wilson ( Talk • Contribs ) … 00:05, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
- User:BirgitteSB I can help with proofreading, setting up index pages, and setting up transcluded pages. Basically most anything on the text side of things.--BirgitteSB 00:35, 10 June 2011 (UTC)
- Michelle Gallaway. Happy to do some of the legwork with proofreading. MichelleG (talk) 12:06, 11 June 2011 (UTC).
- Pete. Getting reasonably comfortable with Wikisource practices. Happy to pitch in where I can. -Pete (talk) 19:13, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
- Aude happy to help, including transcribing videos. Aude (talk) 16:23, 7 December 2011 (UTC)
- Ammcmillin Glad to be a part of this! Willing to help wherever possible, including transcription and proofreading. Ammcmillin (talk)12:21, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- User:Utgardsloki. I would love to help transcribe, proofread, manage files, etc.. -User: Utgardsloki
- User:Janautical. I am a student archivist at my university and have some experience with archiving. I would absolutely love to participate in this project! I am willing to do anything that anyone needs any help with.
- Sharon Wilson. I'm especially interested in supporting NARA's work to make archival material more accessible. I'm a retired government documents librarian with experience working with federal publications.--Sharon Wilson 01:26, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
- Slowking4 scanathons, uploading photos 03:50, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- Rino Landa. As an aspiring Librarian with passion for technological integration & digital instruction I'm very interested in supporting NARA's innovative partnership with the GLAM WikiProject and putting to use my undergraduate archival and digitization experience at Yale University in supporting this endeavor; I'm also very interested applying my Spanish fluency to translating documents/pages as needed. 00:13 April 22, 2012 (UTC)
How can I help. Just let me know. Lisa Holinde Waco, TX
- Bettenandi Glad to help in any way, especially in transcription and proofreading. Will be pursuing a higher degree in Archival Records and Administration and am eager to learn all that I can.
- Thepoodlechef Glad to help!
Would like to help. tpulliam67