1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Amélie-Les-Bains
AMÉLIE-LES-BAINS, a watering-place of south-western France, in the department of Pyrénées-Orientales, at the junction of the Mondony with the Tech, 28½ m. S.S.W. of Perpignan by rail. Pop. (1906) 1247. It has numerous sulphur springs (68°–145° F.) used as baths by sufferers from rheumatism and maladies of the lungs. The town is situated at a height of 770 ft. and has both a winter and summer season. There are two bathing establishments, one of which preserves remains of Roman baths, and a large military thermal hospital. The town, formerly called Arles-les-Bains, is named after Queen Amelia, wife of Louis Philippe.