1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Calder
CALDER, an ancient district of Midlothian, Scotland. It has been divided into the parishes of Mid-Calder (pop. in 1901 3132) and West-Calder (pop. 8092), East-Calder belonging to the parish of Kirknewton (pop. 3221). The whole locality owes much of its commercial importance and prosperity to the enormous development of the mineral oil industry. Coal-mining is also extensively pursued, sandstone and limestone are worked, and paper-mills flourish. Mid-Calder, a town on the Almond (pop. 703), has an ancient church, and John Spottiswood (1510-1585), the Scottish reformer, was for many years minister. His sons—John, archbishop of St Andrews, and James (1567-1645), bishop of Clogher—were both born at Mid-Calder. West-Calder is situated on Breich Water, an affluent of the Almond, 15½ m. S.W. of Edinburgh by the Caledonian railway, and is the chief centre of the district. Pop. (1901) 2652. At Addiewell, about 1½ m. S.W., the manufacture of ammonia, naphtha, paraffin oil and candles is carried on, the village practically dating from 1866, and having in 1901 a population of 1591. The Highland and Agricultural Society have an experimental farm at Pumpherston (pop. 1462). The district contains several tumuli, old ruined castles and a Roman camp in fair preservation.