1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Huntington (West Virginia)
HUNTINGTON, a city and the county-seat of Cabell county, West Virginia, U.S.A., about 50 m. W. of Charleston, W. Va., on the S. bank of the Ohio river, just below the mouth of the Guyandotte river. Pop. (1900) 11,923, of whom 1212 were negroes, (1910 census) 31,161. It is served by the Baltimore & Ohio and the Chesapeake & Ohio railways, and by several lines of river steamboats The city is the seat of Marshall College (founded in 1837, a State Normal School in 1867), which in 1907–1908 had 34 instructors and 1100 students; and of the West Virginia State Asylum for the Incurable Insane; and it has a Carnegie library and a city hospital. Huntington has extensive railway car and repair shops, besides foundries and machine shops, steel rolling mills, manufactories of stoves and ranges, breweries and glass works. The value of the city’s factory product in 1905 was $4,407,153, an increase of 21% over that of 1900. Huntington dates from 1871, when it became the western terminus of the Chesapeake & Ohio railway, was named in honour of Collis P. Huntington (1821–1900), the president of the road, and was incorporated.