1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Mülheim-an-der-Ruhr
MÜLHEIM-AN-DER-RUHR, a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, on the Ruhr, an affluent of the Rhine, about 7 m. W. from Essen and at the' intersection of several railways. Pop. (1905), 93, 598. It has a parish church dating from the 12th century. Like most of the towns in this district, Mülheim finds its chief industry in iron-working, and contains numerous blast-furnaces, rolling-mills, foundries and engine works; it also carries on manufactures of leather, wool, cotton, calico, tobacco, paper, beer, and other miscellaneous goods. An enormous traffic, by river and rail, is carried on in coal, and there is also a considerable trade in timber and colonial produce. In the neighbourhood are important sandstone quarries, glass works, and a carpet manufactory. Mülheim. was formerly included in the duchy of Berg, and became a town in 1 508. In 1815 it passed to Prussia.