1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Navan
NAVAN, a market town of county Meath, Ireland, situated at the confluence of the Blackwater with the Boyne. Pop. (1901) 3839. It is a railway junction of some importance, where the Clonsilla and Kingscourt branch of the Midland Great Western railway crosses the Drogheda and Oldcastle branch of the Great Northern. By the former it is 30 m. N.W. of Dublin. Navan is the principal town of county Meath (though Trim is the county town), and has considerable trade in corn and flour, some manufacture of woollens and of agricultural implements, and a tannery. Navan was a barony of the palatinate of Meath, was walled and fortified, and was incorporated by charter of Edward IV. It suffered in the civil wars of 1641, and returned two members to the Irish parliament until the Union in 1800. It is governed by an urban district council, and is a favourite centre for rod-Bshing for trout and salmon.