1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/North Shields
NORTH SHIELDS, a seaport of Northumberland, England, within the municipal and parliamentary borough of Tynemouth (q.v. for history, &c.). The town of that name adjoins it on the E. It lies on the N. bank of the Tyne, immediately above its mouth, and opposite to South Shields in Durham, 71 m. E. of Newcastle by a branch of the North Eastern railway. It is a town of modern growth, and contains the municipal offices of the borough, a custom-house and various benevolent institutions for seamen. The harbour is enclosed by north and south piers, and there is a depth of 29 ft. at spring-tides besides the quays. Coal and coke are largely exported, and corn, timber and esparto grass are imported. There is an extensive fish quay, and about 14,000 tons of fish are landed annually. There are engineering, iron, salt and earthenware works, and some shipbuilding is carried on.