1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Ossett
OSSETT, a municipal borough in the Morley parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 3 m. W. of Wakefield, on the Great Northern and (Horbury and Ossett station) the Lancashire and Yorkshire railways. Pop. (1901) 12,903. It includes the contiguous townships of Ossett, South Ossett and Gawthorpe. The church of the Holy Trinity, a fine cruciform structure in the Early Decorated style, was erected in 1865. Woollen cloth mills, and extensive collieries in the neighbourhood, employ the large industrial population. There are medicinal springs similar in their properties to those of Cheltenham. The municipal borough, incorporated in 1890, is under a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors. Area 3238 acres.