1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Oxford (Ohio)

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OXFORD, a village in Butler county, Ohio, U.S.A., about 40 m. N.W. of Cincinnati. Pop. (1890) 1922; (1900) 2009. Oxford is served by the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railway. It is the seat of Miami University (co-educational; chartered in 1809, opened as a grammar school in 1818, and organized as a college in 1824), which had 40 instructors and 1076 students in 1909. At Oxford also are the Oxford College for Women, chartered in 1906, an outgrowth, after various changes of name, of the Oxford Female Academy (1839); and the Western College for Women (chartered in 1904), an outgrowth of the Western Female Seminar (opened in 1855). The first settlement on the site was made about 1800.