1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Pantry
PANTRY (O. Fr. paneterie; Med. Lat. panetaria, a bread-shop, from panis, bread), originally a room in a house used for the storage of bread, hence “ panter ” or “ pantler,” an officer of a household in charge of the bread and stores. In the royal household of England the office was merged in that of butler. At coronations the office of “ panneter” was held by the lord of the manor of Kibworth Beauchamp; it was his duty to carry the salt-cellar and carving-knives to the royal table, and he kept these as his fee. The last holder of the office was Ambrose Dudley, son of John, duke of Northumberland, at Elizabeth's coronation. At his death the manor reverted to the Crown. “Pantry” was early widened in meaning to include a room in a house used for the storing of all kinds of food, and is now restricted to the butler's or parlourmaid's room, where plate, china, glass, &c., for the use of the table is kept, and duties in connexion with the serving of the table are performed.