1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Philippsburg
PHILIPPSBURG, a town of Germany, in the grand duchy of Baden, situated on a sluggish arm of the Rhine, 15 m. N. of Karlsruhe, on the railway Bruchsal-Germersheim. Pop. (1905) 2625. It has manufactures of tobacco and cigars, and some trade in cattle and hops. Philippsburg, formerly an important fortress, originally belonged to the ecclesiastical principality of Spires, and was named Udenheim. In 1338 it was surrounded with walls by bishop Gerhard. A later bishop of Spires, Philipp Christoph von Sotern, made the place his residence early in the 17th century, strengthened the fortifications, and renamed it Philippsburg after himself. At the peace of Westphalia in 1648 the French remained in possession of the town, but in 1679 it was restored to Germany, and though again captured by the French in 1688 it was once more restored in 1697. In 1734 the dilapidated fortress fell an easy prey to the French under Marshal Berwick, who, however, lost his life beneath its walls. It was restored to Germany in 1735, and was again besieged by the French in 1799. The town was assigned to Baden in 1803.