1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Quezaltenango
QUEZALTENANGO, the capital of the department of Quezaltenango, Guatemala, 70 m. by road W. of Guatemala city at the terminus of a railway from Champerico on the Pacific coast. Pop. (1905) about 31,000. It is situated on the river Siguila, and at the foot of the volcano Santa Maria. In size the second city of the republic, it has a large agricultural trade and manufactures of linen, woolen and cotton goods. It contains a fine cathedral and some good public buildings, including two national institutes for higher education; and it is well supplied with water and electricity for light and power. The majority of its inhabitants are Indians or half-breeds of Quiché descent. Quetzaltenango was the capital of a Quiché kingdom, and was known as Xelahuh or Xelahue until 1524, when it was conquered by the Spaniards under Pedro de Alvarado. In 1902 it was partially destroyed by an earthquake and an eruption of Santa Maria.