1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Rawmarsh
RAWMARSH, an urban district in the Rotherham parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 7½ m. N.E. of Sheffield by the Midland railway. Pop. (1891) 11,983; (1901) 14,587. It is situated on the ridge of a hill above the valley of the Don. The church of St Lawrence was rebuilt in 1839 with the exception of the Norman tower. Rawmarsh has large iron-works, steel rolling-mills and potteries, and there are collieries in the neighbourhood. At the time of the Conquest the manor was granted to Walter d'Eyncourt, and in the I2th century it was divided among the three daughters of his tenant Ralph Paganel, who is supposed to have been the founder of the church.