1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/San Vicente
SAN VICENTE, the capital of the department of San Vicente, Salvador; 30 m. E. of San Salvador, on the river Acahuapa, a left-hand tributary of the Lempa. Pop. (1905) about 18,000. San Vicente is situated in a volcanic region abounding in hot springs and geysers. The volcano of San Vicente, the highest in the department, reaches an altitude of more than 7000 ft. The city is surrounded by indigo and tobacco plantations, and has considerable commerce, a large portion of which is transacted at the All Saints' fair, held annually on the 1st of November. Shoes, hats, cloth, silk, spirits and cigars are manufactured here. San Vicente was founded in 1634 on the site of Tehuacan, an ancient Indian city. For one year (1839–1840) it was the capital of the republic.