1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Sangerhausen
SANGERHAUSEN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Saxony, situated on the Gonna, near the south base of the Harz mountains, 30 m. W. of Halle, on the main line of railway Berlin-Nordhausen-Cassel. Pop. (1905) 12,439. Among many medieval buildings, the church of St Ulrich, one of the finest specimens of Romanesque architecture in Germany, and the church of St James, with a magnificent altar screen and interesting tombs and effigies, are particularly noticeable. There are a gymnasium, two hospitals dating from the 14th century and an old town-hall. The industries include the manufacture of sugar, furniture, machinery, boots and buttons. Brewing and brick making are also extensively carried on, and there is a considerable agricultural trade.
Sangerhausen is one of the oldest towns in Thuringia, being mentioned in a document of 991 as appertaining to the estates of the emperor. By marriage it passed to the landgrave of Thuringia, and after 1056 it formed for a while an independent country. Having been again part of Thuringia, it fell in 1249 to Meissen, and in 1291 to Brandenburg. In 1372 it passed to Saxony and formed a portion of that territory until 1815, when it was united with Prussia.
See K. Meyer, Chronik des landrätlichen Kreises Sangerhausen (Nordhausen, 1892); and F. Schmidt, Geschichte der Stadt Sangerhausen (Sangerhausen, 1906).