1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Schwabach
SCHWABACH, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, 9 m. by rail S. of Nuremberg. Pop. (1905) 10,342. It has the interesting Evangelical church of St John, built in the 15th century, with carvings by Veit Stoss, paintings by Wohlgemut, Martin Schön and others, and a ciborium by Adam Kraft; a fountain, the Schöne Brunnen, and several schools. Schwabach is the chief seat of the needle manufacture in Bavaria; its other industries include gold and silver wire work, brewing and the making of soap and earthenware. Schwabach was purchased in 1364 by the burgrave of Nuremberg.
See Petzoldt, Chronik der Stadt Schwabach (Schwabach, 1854).