1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Shelbyville
Jump to navigation Jump to search
SHELBYVILLE, a city and the county-seat of Shelby county, Indiana, U.S.A., about 27 m. S.E. of Indianapolis, on the Big Blue river. Pop. (1890) 5451; (1900) 7169, including 326 foreign-born; (1910) 9500. It is served by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis and the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis railways, and by an interurban electric line. It has a public library, a hospital and a children's home. The city is a trading centre for the surrounding farming region; among its manufactures furniture is the most important. Shelbyville, named in honour of General Isaac Shelby of Kentucky, was platted in 1822, incorporated as a town in 1850, and chartered as a city in 1860.