1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Stewarton
Jump to navigation Jump to search
STEWARTON, a municipal and police burgh, in the Cunningham district of Ayrshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 2858. It is situated on Annick Water, 19 m. S.W. of Glasgow by the Glasgow & South-Western railway. The town lies in a fine agricultural district, famed for its dairy produce. Two cattle and two horse fairs are held yearly; at the October cattle fair there is the largest show of Ayrshire dairy stock in Scotland. About 2 m. north by west is Dunlop (pop. 473), which gave its name to a cheese that at one time commanded a large market.