1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Tambov (town)
TAMBOV, a town of Russia, capital of the government of the same name, 300 m. by rail S.E. from Moscow, on the Tsna river, and on the railway to Saratov. Pop. (1884) 34,000; (1900) 49,208. The town is almost entirely built of wood, with broad unpaved streets, lined with low houses surrounded by gardens; but it is an archiepiscopal see of the Orthodox Greek Church. Woollens, tobacco, oil and various other commodities are manufactured. The trade in grain, and in cattle purchased in the south and sent to Moscow, is far less important than that of Morshansk and Kozlov.