1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Teate Marrucinorum

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TEATE MARRUCINORUM [mod. Chieti, q.v.], the chief town of the Marrucini, the whole of whose territory was placed under its municipal jurisdiction by the Romans, after the “Social War.” It was thus a town of some importance. Under the church of SS. Pietro e Paolo and the adjoining houses are extensive substructures (in opus reticulalum and brickwork) of the 1st century A.D., belonging to a building erected by M. Vectius Marcellus (probably mentioned by Pliny, H.N., II., 199) and Helvidia Priscilla. There are also remains of large reservoirs and of a theatre.