1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Teviotdale

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TEVIOTDALE, the valley of the Teviot, Roxburghshire, Scotland. In a limited sense the word describes the stretch above Hawick (9 m.) and, in a wider sense, the whole vale, extending in a north-easterly direction from Teviothead nearly to the confines of the parish of Roxburgh, a distance of 23 m. It is sometimes incorrectly used as an alternative name for the shire, much of the area of which, in point of fact, lies outside the Teviot drainage basin. There are numerous points of interest in the dale. Henry Scott Riddell (1798–1870), the poet, was buried at Teviothead. Almost side by side in the churchyard are the obelisk near his grave and the memorial stone erected in the cemetery wall to John Armstrong of Gilnockie, the celebrated freebooter, who, along with several followers, was treacherously seized in 1530 and hanged at Caerlanrigg, in the immediate vicinity, by order of James V. Riddell is further commemorated by a monument on Dryden hill. Branxholm tower, the peel of Goldielands, and Harden castle (on Harden burn, a tributary of Northwick water) are spots familiar through the writings of Sir Walter Scott and many Border ballads. Five m. to the east of Hawick stands the hill of Ruberslaw (1392 ft.). Among the crags on its summit is the rock, still called “Peden’s chair,” from which Alexander Peden preached to conventicles of Covenanters. Below Hawi-ck interest principally centres around Minto, Hassendean-the Hazeldean of Sir Walter Scott’s song, “Jock o’ Hazeldean”—and Ancrum.