1922 Encyclopædia Britannica/West Point
WEST POINT (see 28.558). The following important buildings were completed at West Point after 1910: the Administration Building, East Academic Building, Riding Hall, two new cadet barracks, cadet chapel and chaplain's quarters, artillery barracks and artillery stable, cavalry barracks and cavalry stable, eight sets of officers' quarters, two apartment buildings each containing eight sets of officers' quarters, and a cadet laundry. By Act of May 4 1916, the number of cadetships authorized at the academy was increased to 1,332. By authority of the War Department, April 1915, candidates were permitted, in lieu of passing the regular entrance examination, to qualify for admission upon the presentation of satisfactory certificate of previous academic work in accredited institutions. By Acts of 1919 and 1920, the pay of cadets was fixed at $780 per annum and one ration per day or commutation thereof at the rate of $1.08 per day. The World War and the demand for trained officers led the War Department to direct the graduation of the First or Upper Class April 20 1917, and of the Second Class Aug. 30 1917. The next year the need for officers resulted in the graduation of three classes, the first, June 12 1918, and the second and third together, Nov. 1 1918. A class of new cadets was admitted at an irregular time, Nov. 2 1918, and provision was made for a temporary one-year course. After the Armistice the War Department directed, May 12 1919, that the course of instruction be fixed for three years, but the following year Congress specified that the course should be four years. The academic authorities thereupon reorganized the curriculum in the light of the most recent military and educational experience.
The upper classes on duty undergo military training June 15 to Aug. 30 at a regular army cantonment away from West Point; (2) The new Fourth Class enter the academy July 1 and receive at West Point preliminary military training until Aug. 30; (3) During the academic year, extending from Sept. 1 to June 15, tactical drills and supervised athletics alternate daily (except Wednesdays and Saturdays) after 4 P.M. for all cadets; (4) Academic instruction be given during periods between 8 A.M. and 4 P.M. in the following subjects to the respective classes Fourth Class, mathematics, English, French and surveying; Third Class, mathematics, English, French, political history, drawing and theoretical tactics; Second Class, natural and experimental philosophy, chemistry and electricity, Spanish, military hygiene; First Class, military engineering, law, military art and history, ordnance and gunnery, economics and government. Ten Saturdays throughout the year were set apart for lectures to the whole corps by eminent men.
The number of graduates of the academy 1910 to 1920 inclusive was 1,959. The superintendents since 1910 have been: T. H. Barry (b. 1855) 1910-2; C. P. Townsley (b. 1855) 1912-5; John Biddle (b. 1859) 1916-7; S. E. Tillman (b. 1847) 1917-9; Douglas McArthur(b. 1880) 1919-22.