A Compendium of Irish Biography/Beresford, Lord John George
Beresford, Lord John George, Archbishop of Armagh, nephew of preceding, son of the first Marquis of Waterford, was born at Tyrone House, Dublin, 22nd November 1773. Educated at Eton and Oxford, he entered the Church, and his preferment was rapid—Bishop of Cork and Ross, 1805; translated to Raphoe, 1807; Clogher, 18 19; to the archbishopric of Dublin, 1820; and to Armagh in 1822. Although his published works were confined to four sermons, he was a distinguished prelate, and devoted the best energies of his life to the service of his Church. He restored the Cathedral of Armagh, and Trinity College is indebted to him for the erection of the beautiful campanile in the Library-square. He died 19th July 1862, aged 88, and was succeeded in the primacy by his cousin, Marcus G. Beresford, Bishop of Kilmore.  
- Burke, Sir Bernard: Peerage and Baronetage.
- Ireland Sixty Years Ago. Dublin, 1851.