A Mighty Fortress Is Our God (Lutheran Church Book)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A mighty Fortress is our God,
- A trusty Shield and Weapon;
- He helps us free from every need
- That hath us now o'ertaken.
- The old evil Foe
- Now means deadly woe;
- Deep guile and great might
- Are his dread arms in fight;
- On earth is not his equal.
- With might of ours can naught be done,
- Soon were our loss effected;
- But for us fights the Valiant One,
- Whom God Himself elected.
- Ask ye, Who is this?
- Jesus Christ it is.
- Of Sabaoth Lord,
- And there's none other God;
- He holds the field forever.
- Though devils all the world should fill,
- All eager to devour us.
- We tremble not, we fear no ill,
- They shall not overpower us.
- This world's prince may still
- Scowl fierce as he will,
- He can harm us none,
- He's judged; the deed is done;
- One little word can fell him.
- The Word they still shall let remain
- Nor any thanks have for it;
- He's by our side upon the plain
- With His good gifts and Spirit.
- And take they our life,
- Goods, fame, child and wife,
- Let these all be gone,
- They yet have nothing won;
- The Kingdom our remaineth.