As birds their infant brood protect
Jump to navigation Jump to search
JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH by William Cowper
- As birds their infant brood protect,
- And spread their wings to shelter them;
- Thus saith the LORD to his elect,
- "So will I guard Jerusalem."
- And what then is Jerusalem,
- This darling object of his care?
- Where is its worth in God's esteem,
- Who built it? who inhabits there?
- Jehovah founded it in blood,
- The blood of his incarnate Son;
- There dwell the saints, once foes to God,
- The sinners, whom he calls his own.
- There, though besieged on every side,
- Yet much beloved and guarded well;
- From age to age they have defied,
- The utmost force of earth and hell.
- Let earth repent, and hell despair,
- This city has a sure defence;
- Her name is called, the LORD is there,
- And who has pow'r to drive him thence.