- The History of the Empire of Japan (1893) (translator)
- The Kyoto Industrial Exhibition of 1895 (1895)
- With Bunyiu Nanjio: An Unabridged Japanese-English Dictionary (1896)
- Japan Described and Illustrated by the Japanese (1897–1901, 10 vols.) or
- Japan and China:
- A History of the Japanese People (1915)
Articles in the Encyclopædia Britannica
- Geography (in part); III. Language and Literature; IV. Art (Painting with William Edwin Anderson, Engraving with Edward Fairbrother Strange, and Woodcut with Edward Fairbrother Strange); IX. Domestic History I.
Works about Brinkley
- “Death of Capt. J. Brinkley” (1912), in Times (Japan)
- “Captain Brinkley Dead” (1912), in Oriental Review
Some or all works by this author were published before January 1, 1928, and are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.
Public domainPublic domainfalse