Author:Henry Thomas Colebrooke
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Co||Henry Thomas Colebrooke
|English official in India; wrote works on Indian culture, language and botany. President of the Astronomical Society, prime mover of the Royal Asiatic society.|
- Remarks on the Present State of Husbandry and Commerce in Bengal (1795) 
- A Digest of Hindu Law on Contracts and Successions, with a Commentary by Jagannatha Tercapanchanana (1798) translated from the original Sanskrit, in 4 vols. 
- A Grammar of the Sanskrit Language, vol. i. (1805)
- The Amera Cosha, a Sanskrit Lexicon, with marginal translations (1808)
- Two Treatises on the Hindu Law of Inheritance (1810)
- Algebra, with Arithmetic and Mensuration, from the Sanskrit of Bramegupta, and Bhascara, preceded by a Dissertation on the State of Science as known to the Hindus (1817)
- On Import of Colonial Corn (1818)
- Treatise on Obligations and Contracts, part i. (1818)
- The Sankhya Karika (1837), translated from the Sanskrit (published posthumously by Professor H. H. Wilson)
- Miscellaneous Essays. 
- On the Religion and Philosophy of the Hindus.
Articles in 'Memoirs of the Astronmical Society'
- Address on presenting the Gold Medal of the Astronomical Society to Charles Babbage, in "Memoirs of the Astronomical Society" 1 (1825), pp. 509-12
Articles in 'Transactions of the Linnaean Society of London'
- "Description of select Indian Plants" in Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 12 (1818), pp. 351−361
- "On Indian Species of Menispermum" in Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 13 (1819), pp. 44−68
- "On Boswellia and certain Indian Terebinthaceæ" in Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 15 (1826), pp. 355−370
Articles in 'Asiatic Researches'
- On the Duties of a Faithful Hindu Widow (1795)
- Enumeration of Indian Classes (1798)
- Indian Weights and Measures (1798)
- On the Religious Ceremonies of the Hindus three essays, (1798-1801)
- Inscription on the Lat of Firuz Shah (1801)
- On the Origin and peculiar Tenets of certain Muhanrmedan Sects (1801)
- On the Sanskrit and Pracrit Languages (1801)
- On the Vedas (1805)
- On a Species of Ox named Gayal (1805)
- On the Sect of Jains (1807)
- On the Indian and Arabian Divisions of the Zodiac (1807)
- On Olibanum or Frankincense (1807)
- On Ancient Monuments with Hindu Inscriptions (1807)
- On Sanskrit and Pracrit Poetry (1808)
- On the Sources of the Ganges (1810)
- On the Notions of Hindu Astronomers concerning the Procession of the Equinoxes and Motions of the Planets (1816)
- On the Height of the Himalayas (1816)
- On the Camphor Tree (1816)
Articles in the 'Transactions of the Royal Asiatic Society'
- A Discourse at the first General Meeting (1823)
- On the Philosophy of the Hindus five parts, (1823-7)
- On Inscriptions in South Bihar (1824)
- Three Grants of Land (1824)
- The Valley of the Setlej (1825)
- Inscriptions of the Jaina Sect in South Bihar (1826)
- On Hindu Courts of Justice (1828)
Articles in the 'Quarterly Journal of Science'
- On the Height of the Himalaya Mountains (1819, 1821)
- On Fluidity (1820)
- Meteorological Observations on the Atlantic (1823)
- On the Climate of South Africa (1823)
Articles in the 'Transactions of the Geological Society'
- On the Valley of the Setlej River (1820)
- On the Geology of the Northeastern Border of Bengal (1821)
- Narrative of a Journey from Mirzapiir to Nagpiir, anonymous ('Asiatic Ann. Register', 1806)
- On the Origin of Caste (published in the 'Life')
- Reply to attack of Mr. Bentley ('Asiatic Journal', 1826)
- On Dichotomous and Quinary Arrangements in Natural History ('Zoological Journal', 1828).
Works about Colebrooke
- Notices of the Life of Henry Thomas Colebrooke, Esq., by His Son. (1839), in "The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland", 5(1), pp.1-60.
- "Colebrooke, Henry Thomas," in The American Cyclopædia (1879)
- "Colebrooke, Henry Thomas," in Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, London: Smith, Elder, & Co. (1885-1900) in 63 vols.