Author:James David Forbes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Fo||James David Forbes
|FRS; Scottish physicist who worked extensively on the conduction of heat, seismology and glaciology; principal of the United College of St. Andrews in 1859|
- On the Mathematical Form of the Gothic Pendent (1836)
- Travels through the Alps (1843)
- Norway and its Glaciers (1853)
- Tour of Mont Blanc and Monte Rosa (1855)
- Occasional Papers on the Theory of Glaciers.
- Dissertation on the Progress of Mathematical and Physical Science,’ principally from 1775 to 1850, for the eighth edition of the ‘Encyclopædia Britannica,’
Works about Forbes
- Life and Letters of James David Forbes, F.R.S., etc. Principal Shairp, Professor P. G. Tait and A. Adams-Reilly (1873)
- Professor Forbes and his Biographers, by J. Tyndall (1873)
- "Forbes, James David," in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- "Forbes, James David," in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature, by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons (1910)