Author:James Whitbread Lee Glaisher
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Gl||James Whitbread Lee Glaisher
|James GlaisherMathematician. Son of |
This author wrote articles for the Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB9 by the initials "J. W. L. G."
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "J. W. L. G."
- On the law of facility of errors of observations, and on the method of least squares. (London, The Society, 1872)
- Report of the committee on mathematical tables (1873) with Arthur Cayley
- On the form of the cells of bees (London : Richard and John E. Taylor, 1873), also by Charles C. Miller
- On factor tables, with an account of the mode of formation of the factor table for the fourth million in Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society volume 3, part 4 (1878)
- Biographical Notice of James Booth, LL. D., F.R.S. (London: Spottiswoode & Co, 1879)
- Solutions of the Cambridge Senate-house problems and riders for the year 1878, (London, Macmillan, 1879)
- Factor table for the fifth million, containing the least factor of every number not divisible by 2, 3, or 5 between 4,000,000 and 5,000,000 (London, Taylor and Francis, 1880)
- On Riccati's Equation and Its Transformations, and on Some Definite Integrals Which Satisfy Them. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, 172 , pt. 3 (1882), pp.759–828.
- Various Papers and Notes: (chiefly Relating to Elliptic Functions) That Have Appeared in the Quarterly Journal of Mathematics and the Messenger of Mathematics (Cambridge, 1882.)
- Factor table for the sixth million, containing the least factor of every number not divisible by 2, 3, or 5 between 5,000,000 and 6,000,000. (London, Taylor and Francis, 1883)
- The Mathematical Tripos: A Presidential Address Delivered Before the London Mathematical Society, November 11, 1886. (London: C.F. Hodgson, 1886).
- Introduction to the Collected Mathematical Papers of Henry J S Smith in Biographical sketches and recollections (with early letters) of Henry John Stephen Smith (1896)
- "Biographical notice" in The scientific papers of John Couch Adams, volume 1 edited by William Grylls Adams (1896)
- The Messenger of mathematics. (Cambridge, Macmillan and Co., [etc.]), also by Charles Taylor and William Allen Whitworth
- World of Comets (1877) by Amédée Guillemin
Works about Glaisher
- James Whitbread Lee Glaisher by A. R. Forsyth, Journal of the London Mathematical Society, Volume s1-4, Issue 2, 1 April 1929, pp.101–112.
- Obituary Notices: Fellows:- Glaisher, James Whitbread Lee, by H. H. Turner, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 89, February 1929, pp.300-308
- Dr. Glaisher and the Messenger of Mathematics, by G. H. Hardy, in Messenger of Mathematics, 58 (1929), pp.159–160.