Author:John Gill Lemmon
|←Author Index: Le||John Gill Lemmon
- Recollections of Rebel Prisons, 1874.
- Ferns of the Pacific Coast including Arizona. San Francisco, 1882.
- Handbook of West American Cone-Bearers – Approved English Names of the Cone-Bearing Trees of the Pacific Slope, 1892
- Discovery of the Potato, San Francisco, 1884.
- How to Tell the Trees and Forest Endowment of the Pacific Slope and Also Some Elements of Forestry with Suggestions by Mrs. Lemmon - First Series: The Cone-Bearers, Oakland, Calif., 1902.
- Oaks of the Pacific Slope, 1902.
Biography of Lemmon
from Who's Who in America, 1903-1905, p. 890:
LEMMON, John Gill, botanist; b. Lima, Mich., Jan. 2, 1832; s. William and Amila (Hudson) L.: ed. common and private schools and Mich. State Normal School; taught village schools 8 yrs. and was 4 yrs. school supt.; entered Unlv. of Mich.; left before graduation to enter 4th Mich. cav., June 8, 1862; took part in 36 engagementa in Ky., Tenn., Ala. and Ga.; captured, Aug. 24, 1864, and remained In Andersonville prison to end of war; m. 1880, Sara Allen Plummer. In Calif. since 1866, as bot. explorer, collector and writer; specialist in forestry; was botanist 4 yrs., Calif. State Bd. Forestry; has added many species of plants, including several kinds of trees, to accepted classifications. Councilman, City of Oakland, 1900-01. Mem. Am. Bot. Soc.; charter mem. Am. Nat. Red Cross; mem. G. A. R., Water and Forest Ann., Calif. Floral Soc. Club: Sierra. Author: Recollections of Rebel Prisons, 1874; Repcrts of the Locust Scourge in California, 1878 U8; Ferns of the Pacific Slope, 1884 L11; 2d and 3d Biennial Reports, Calif. Bd. Forestry, 1888, 1890; Handbook of North American Cone-Bearers, 1895, 1900 L11; Botanizing In Apache-land, 1901 A7; How to Tell the Treea, 1902 A7. Contb'r to mags., etc. Address: 5985 Telegraph Av., Oakland, Calif.