Author:Matthew Fontaine Maury
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Ma||Matthew Fontaine Maury
|Officer in the United States Navy; American oceanographer, astronomer, meteorologist, cartographer, author, geologist, microscopist, scientist, historian, and educator.|
Transcription by William Maury Morris II aka "Brother Officer"
- Physical Geography Of The Sea. 1855. New York: Harper & Brothers.
- Physical Geography of the Sea and its Meteorology 1864 - 11th edition revised and enlarged.
- Whaling Charts
- Wind and Current Charts
- Sailing Directions
- U.S.Navy Contributions to Science and Commerce (1847)
- Explanations and Sailing Directions to Accompany the Wind and Current Charts, 1851, 1854, 1855
- Lieut. Maury’s Investigations of the Winds and Currents of the Sea, 1851
- On the Probable Relation between Magnetism and the Circulation of the Atmosphere, 1851
- Maury’s Wind and Current Charts: Gales in the Atlantic, 1857
- The Physical Geography of the Sea, 1855, 1856, 1859
- Observations to Determine the Solar Parallax, 1856
- Amazon, and the Atlantic Slopes of South America, 1853
- Commander M. F. Maury on American Affairs, 1861
- The Physical Geography of the Sea and Its Meteorology, 1861, 1874
- Maury’s New Elements of Geography for Primary and Intermediate Classes
- Geography: "First Lessons"
- Elementary Geography: Designed for Primary and Intermediate Classes.
- Geography: "The World We Live In" by M. F. Maury
- Published Address of Com. M. F. Maury, before the Fair of the Agricultural & Mechanical Society.
- Geology: A Physical Survey of Virginia; Her Geographical Position, Its Commercial Advantages and National Importance, Virginia Military Institute, 1869
- “Maury's Vindication of the South,” in the Southern Historical Society Papers Volume 1, February 1876 (written 1871)
- “Patriotic Letters of Confederate Leaders,” in the Southern Historical Society Papers Volume 2, July 1876, reply to Konstantin Nikolayevich Romanov
- First International Maritime Conference Held for Devising an Uniform System of Meteorological Observations at Sea Organized by Matthew Fontaine Maury, U.S.N. Official Report. (1853)
Addresses delivered by Matthew Fontaine Maury
- For the Philodemic Society at the commencement of Georgetown College on August 28, 1846.
- Address Before The Literary Societies of the University of Virginia on June 28th, 1855.
Articles in The Popular Science Monthly Project
Works about Matthew Fontaine Maury
- Matthew Fontaine Maury Biography by Diane Fontaine Maury-Corbin
- “Obituary: Matthew Fontaine Maury,” in Popular Science Monthly, 2 (April 1873)
- “Maury, Matthew Fontaine”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed., 1911)